Ning Smith, PhD, is an investigator and a member of CHR’s Biostatistics Core. Her research areas include obesity and diabetes, vaccine effectiveness and safety, pain management and drug addictions, oral health, and meta-analysis.
Dr. Smith consults with other researchers on experimental design and statistical methods such as power analysis, multivariate analyses, logistic regression, longitudinal data analysis, and survival analysis.
Before joining CHR, Dr. Smith was a biostatistician in the Department of Research and Evaluation at the Southern California Permanente Medical Group. She received her PhD in biostatistics from the University of Michigan and her bachelor’s degree in economics from Nankai University in Tianjin, China.
- LeBlanc ES, Smith NX, Vesco KK, Hillier TA, Stevens VJ. Weight Loss Prior to Pregnancy and Early Gestational Glycemia: Prepare, a Randomized Clinical Trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2021 Nov 19;106(12):e5001-e5010. PMID: 34313765; PMCID: PMC8787851
- Adams MH, Dobscha SK, Smith NX, Yarborough BJ, Deyo RA, Morasco BJ. Prevalence and Correlates of Low Pain Interference among Patients with High Pain Intensity who are Prescribed Long-Term Opioid Therapy. J Pain. 2018 Sep;19(9): 1074-1081. PMCID: PMC6119628
- LeBlanc ES, Vesco KK, Funk KL, Karanja N, Smith N, Stevens VJ. Prepare, a randomized trial to promote and evaluate weight loss among overweight and obese women planning pregnancy: Study design and rationale. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016 Jul;49:174-80. PMCID: PMC5685182
- Lin JS, Piper MA, Perdue LA, Rutter CM, Webber EM, O’Connor E, Smith N, Whitlock EP. Screening for Colorectal Cancer: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2016 Jun 21;315(23):2576-94.
- Naleway AL, Crane B, Smith N, Daley MF, Donahue J, Gee J, Greene SK, Harrington T, Jackson LA, Klein NP, Tseng HF, Vellozzi C, Weintraub ES. Absence of venous thromboembolism risk following quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccination, Vaccine Safety Datalink, 2008-2011. Vaccine. 2016 Jan 2;34(1):167-71.