Jillian Henderson, PhD, MPH, conducts research to support evidence-based clinical and health policy recommendations to improve the health of women and families in domestic and global contexts.
At the Center for Health Research, Dr. Henderson leads and co-leads systematic reviews on preventive reproductive health care topics for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, such as cervical cancer screening, routine pelvic examinations, ovarian cancer screening, preeclampsia prevention and screening, and prevention of sexually transmitted infections. She also serves as the Methodologist for the Cochrane Collaboration Fertility Regulation Group based at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Before joining CHR, Dr. Henderson was assistant professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at the University of California, San Francisco. She led and collaborated on research funded by the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and private foundations. She has worked on international studies on the safety and quality of family planning services and on the implementation of national guidelines for preventive screening. While at UCSF, she collaborated on projects with clinicians and social scientists aimed at improving reproductive health across the life span by addressing risks associated with pregnancy and childbearing, improving contraception and abortion care, preventing sexually transmitted infections, and screening for cancers of the reproductive tract.
Dr. Henderson earned her PhD in health services research and MPH in epidemiology from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and her BS in biology from the University of Oregon.
- Henderson JT, Vesco KK, Senger CA, Thomas RG, Redmond N. Aspirin Use to Prevent Preeclampsia and Related Morbidity and Mortality: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2021 Sep 28;326(12):1192-1206. doi: 10.1001/jama.2021.8551. PMID: 34581730.
- Henderson JT, Webber EM, Sawaya GF. Screening for Ovarian Cancer: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA 2018 Feb 13;319(6):595-606. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.21421. PMID:29450530
- Henderson JT, Thompson JH, Burda BU, Cantor A. Preeclampsia Screening: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017 Apr 25;317(16):1668-1683. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.18315. PMID:28444285
- Melnikow J, Henderson JT, Burda BU, Senger CA, Durbin S, Weyrich MS. Screening for Cervical Cancer With High-Risk Human Papillomavirus Testing: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2018 Aug 21;320(7):687-705. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.10400. PMID: 30140883.
- Guirguis-Blake JM, Henderson JT, Perdue LA. Periodic Screening Pelvic Examination: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017 Mar 7;317(9):954-966. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.12819. PMID 28267861
- Patnode CD, Henderson JT, Thompson JH, Senger CA, Fortmann SP, Whitlock EP. Behavioral Counseling and Pharmacotherapy Interventions for Tobacco Cessation in Adults, Including Pregnant Women: A Review of Reviews for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Oct 163(8):608-21. [PMID: 26389650]
- Henderson JT, Whitlock EP, O'Connor E, Senger CA, Thompson JH, Rowland MG. Low-Dose Aspirin for Prevention of Morbidity and Mortality from Preeclampsia: A Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Apr 8. [PMID: 24711050]
- Henderson JT, Saraiya M, Martinez G, Harper CC, Sawaya G. Changes to cervical cancer prevention guidelines: Effects on screening among women ages 15-29. Preventive Medicine 56(1):25-9, 2013. [PMID:23137444]
- Henderson JT, Puri M, Blum M, Rana A, Malla, K, Harper CC, Gurung G, Pradhan N, Sharma S, Satyal I, Bajracharya L, Regmi K, Acharya S, Grossman D, Lamichhane P, Darney PD. Effects of abortion legalization in Nepal, 2001-2010. PLoS One 2013; 8(5):e64775. [doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064775]
- Henderson JT, Sawaya GF, Blum M, Stratton L, Harper CC. Pelvic examinations and access to oral hormonal contraception: Results from a national survey. Obstetrics & Gynecology 116(6):1257-64, 2010.