Carmit McMullen, PhD, is a medical anthropologist who studies health care delivery, cancer survivorship, and aging. She provides expertise in qualitative and ethnographic research methods, such as focus groups, interviews, and fieldwork (participant observation), for studies in diverse subject areas. She also facilitates stakeholder engagement in research by leading advisory boards and by training patient advocates and integrating them into the research process.
Dr. McMullen has used ethnography to study how health care providers across the country communicate in hospital and outpatient settings, ensure patient safety during surgery and critical care, and implement electronic medical records systems. She has developed rapid assessment processes for conducting team-based ethnographic evaluations of clinical trials and implementations of other interventions including health-information technology and organizational change in health care settings. She has also applied user-centered design to needs assessment and intervention development for a range of clinical contexts, from post-operative recovery to provider-patient communication regarding vaccination.
Dr. McMullen has an established research program on treatment-related disability, quality of life, and cancer survivorship among patients with a history of bladder or colorectal cancer. Her cancer research also explores personalized, preference-based treatment options for cancer survivors, including a comparative effectiveness study of urinary diversion options after cystectomy, several large-scale surveys of colorectal cancer survivors, and a series of projects on tailoring treatment and surveillance for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
Dr. McMullen received her MA and PhD in medical anthropology from Case Western Reserve University. Her earlier research examined self-appraised health status, African American culture and health, and urban health issues in three community-based, anthropological studies of health and aging in Philadelphia. She is an affiliate assistant professor in OHSU’s Department of Medical Informatics.
Selected Current Studies
- System-Level Capture of Family History Data to Assess Risk of Cancer and Provide Longitudinal Care Coordination (PCORI)
- Does a Prioritized, Point-of-Care Clinical Decision Support Tool Improve Guideline-Based CVD Risk Factor Control in Safety Net Clinics?—CV Wizard (NHLBI)
- A Non-Inferiority Comparative Effectiveness Trial of Standard vs. Tech-Supported Home-Based Palliative Care in Older Adults with Advanced Illness and Their Family Caregivers—HomePal (PCORI)
- Wilfond BS, Kauffman TL, Jarvik GP, Reiss JA, Richards CS, McMullen C, Gilmore M, Himes P, Kraft SA, Porter KM, Schneider JL, Punj S, Leo MC, Dickerson JF, Lynch FL, Clarke E, Rope AF, Lutz K, Goddard KAB. Lessons Learned From A Study Of Genomics-Based Carrier Screening For Reproductive Decision Making. Health Aff (Millwood). 2018 May;37(5):809-816. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1578. PubMed PMID: 29733724.
- McMullen CK, Bulkley JE, Altschuler A, Wendel CS, Grant M, Hornbrook MC, Sun V, Krouse RS. Greatest Challenges of Rectal Cancer Survivors: Results of a Population-Based Survey. Dis Colon Rectum. 2016 Nov;59(11):1019-1027. PubMed PMID: 27749476; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5226258.
- Ramirez M, McMullen C, Grant M, Altschuler A, Hornbrook MC, Krouse RS. Figuring Out Sex in a Reconfigured Body: Experiences of Female Colorectal Cancer Survivors with Ostomies. Women & Health. 2009 Dec;49(8):608-24.
- McMullen CK, Schneider J, Altschuler A, Grant M, Hornbrook MC, Liljestrand P, Krouse RS. Caregivers as healthcare managers: Health management activities, needs, and caregiving relationships for colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies. Support Care Cancer 2014 Sep;22(9):2401-8. PMCID: PMC4372076 [Available on 2015-09-01]
- McMullen C, Wasserman J, Altschuler A, Grant M, Hornbrook MC, Liljestrand P, Briggs C, Krouse RS. Untreated peristomal skin complications among long-term colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies: Lessons from a study of family caregiving. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2011 Dec 1;15(6):644-50. PMCID: PMC4123754
- McMullen C, Hornbrook M, Grant M, Baldwin C, Wendel C, Mohler MJ, Altschuler A, Ramirez M, Krouse R. The greatest challenges reported by long-term colorectal cancer survivors with stomas. J Support Oncol 2008;6(4):175-182.
- Krouse RS, Herrinton LJ, Grant M, Wendel C, Green S, Mohler J, Baldwin C, McMullen C, Rawl S, Matayoshi E, Coons SJ, Hornbrook M. Health-Related Quality of Life among long-term rectal cancer survivors with an ostomy: Manifestations by sex. J Clinl Oncol 2009;27(28):4664-70. PMCID: PMC2754912
- McMullen CK, Ash JS, Sittig DF, Bunce A, Guappone K, Dykstra R, Carpenter J, Richardson J, Wright A. Rapid assessment of clinical information systems in the healthcare setting: An efficient method for time-pressed evaluation. Methods Inf Med 2011;50(4):299-307. PMCID: PMC3746487
- McMullen CK, Macey TA, Pope J, Gugerty B, Slot M, Lundeen P, Ash J, Carlson N. Effect of computerized prescriber order entry on pharmacy: Experience of one health system. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2015 Jan 15;72(2):133-42.
- McMullen C, Schneider J, Firemark AJ, Davis J, Spofford M. Cultivating engaged leadership through a learning collaborative: Lessons from primary care renewal in Oregon safety net clinics. Ann Fam Med 2013 May-Jun;11 Suppl 1:S34-40. PMCID: PMC3707245
- Hazlehurst B, McMullen CK, Gorman PN. Distributed cognition in the Heart Room: How situation awareness arises from coordinated communications during cardiac surgery. J Biomed Inform 2007;40(5):539-51.