Mary Ann McBurnie, PhD, directs multi-center observational, clinical trials and data-only studies through the CHR Data Coordinating Center (DCC). Her research interests include health disparities and measuring and improving quality of care.
Dr. McBurnie has over 20 years’ experience overseeing the design, implementation, and coordination of multi-center DCCs and currently leads the DCC for the National Dental PBRN, which comprises seven nodes and over 7,000 oral health care practitioners nationwide. She has also served as DCC principal investigator and Steering Committee Chair for the multi-site Community Health Applied Research Network (CHARN) and led the DCC for CONCERT, the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Outcomes-based Network for Clinical Effectiveness and Research Translation.
Dr. McBurnie has served on several national and international studies that relate to heart and lung disease, including the Cardiovascular Health Study (CHS), the Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) Trial, the Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease (BOLD) study, and the COPD Foundation-led COPD Patient Powered Research Network (COPD-PRN). In addition, she has led or contributed to projects focusing on the development, assessment, and utilization of EHR-based data infrastructure, enabling the pooling and analyses of multi-site EMR data. Two projects developed centralized data warehouses (CHARN and CONCERT) and another (CER-HUB) built a centralized website where researchers can construct software applications to process their electronic medical records, including text and coded data, to create standardized, multi-site datasets for comparative effectiveness research.
Dr. McBurnie received her PhD in biostatistics from the University of Washington. She served in that department at the Cardiovascular Health Study Coordinating Center and the Clinical Trials Center before joining the Center for Health Research in 2005.
- Bailey SR, Stevens VJ, Fortmann SP, Kurtz SE, McBurnie MA, Priest E, Puro J, Solberg LI, Schweitzer R, Masica AL, Hazlehurst B. Long-Term Outcomes From Repeated Smoking Cessation Assistance in Routine Primary Care. Am J Health Promot. 2018 Jan 1:890117118761886. doi: 10.1177/0890117118761886
- Avilés-Santa ML, Heintzman J, Lindberg NM, Guerrero-Preston R, Ramos K, Abraído-Lanza AL, Bull J, Falcón A, McBurnie MA, Moy E, Papanicolaou G, Piña IL, Popovic J, Suglia SF, Vázquez MA. Personalized medicine and Hispanic health: improving health outcomes and reducing health disparities - a National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute workshop report. BMC Proc. 2017 Oct 3;11(Suppl 11):11. doi: 10.1186/s12919-017-0079-4. eCollection 2017.
- Rieckmann T, Muench J, McBurnie MA, Leo MC, Crawford P, Ford D, Stubbs J, O'Cleirigh C, Mayer KH, Fiscella K, Wright N, Doe-Simkins M, Cuddeback M, Salisbury-Afshar E, Nelson C. Medication-assisted treatment for substance use disorders within a national community health center research network. Subst Abus. 2016 Oct-Dec;37(4):625-634.
- Mayer KH, Crawford P, Dant L, Gillespie S, Singal R, Vandermeer M, Muench J, Long T, Quach T, Chaudhry A, Crane HM, Lembo D, Mills R, McBurnie MA. HIV and Hepatitis C Virus Screening Practices in a Geographically Diverse Sample of American Community Health Centers. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2016 Jun;30(6):237-46. doi: 10.1089/apc.2015.0314.
- Li V, McBurnie MA, Simon M, Crawford P, Leo M, Rachman F, Cottrell E, Dant L, Oneha M, Chang Weir R. Impact of Social Determinants of Health on Patients with Complex Diabetes Who Are Served by National Safety-Net Health Centers. J Am Board Fam Med. 2016 May-Jun;29(3):356-70. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2016.03.150226.
- Laws R, Gillespie S, Puro J, Van Rompaey S, Quach T, Carroll J, Weir RC, Crawford P, Grasso C, Kaleba E, McBurnie MA. The Community Health Applied Research Network (CHARN) Data Warehouse: a Resource for Patient-Centered Outcomes Research and Quality Improvement in Underserved, Safety Net Populations. EGEMS (Wash DC). 2014 Oct 14;2(3):1097. doi: 10.13063/2327-9214.1097. eCollection 2014.
- Buist AS, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM, Gillespie S, Burney P, Mannino DM, Menezes AM, Sullivan SD, Lee TA, Weiss KB, Jensen RL, Marks GB, Gulsvik A, Nizankowska-Mogilnicka E; BOLD Collaborative Research Group. International variation in the prevalence of COPD (the BOLD Study): a population-based prevalence study. Lancet. 2007 Sep 1;370(9589):741-50. Erratum in: Lancet. 2012 Sep 1;380(9844):806.
- Hallstrom AP, Ornato JP, Weisfeldt M, Travers A, Christenson J, McBurnie MA, Zalenski R, Becker LB, Schron EB, Proschan M; Public Access Defibrillation Trial Investigators. Public-access defibrillation and survival after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med. 2004 Aug 12;351(7):637-46.
- Fried LP, Tangen CM, Walston J, Newman AB, Hirsch C, Gottdiener J, Seeman T, Tracy R, Kop WJ, Burke G, McBurnie MA; Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001 Mar;56(3):M146-56
- McBurnie MA, Kronmal RA, Schuett VE, Koch R, Azeng CG. Physical growth of children treated for phenylketonuria. Ann Hum Biol. 1991 Jul-Aug;18(4):357-68.