Bobbi Jo Yarborough, PsyD, is a clinical psychologist and health services researcher who works to improve care and outcomes among individuals with serious mental illnesses and/or substance use disorders. Dr. Yarborough has been the principal investigator or co-investigator on more than a dozen research contracts or grants funded by the National Institutes of Health and FDA.
Her portfolio includes studies of adolescent and adult depression treatment, suicide prevention, eating disorders treatment, lifestyle change among people with serious mental illnesses, first-episode psychosis, recovery from serious mental illnesses, dual recovery among people with mental illnesses and substance problems, opioid use and associated risks, and preferences for opioid agonist treatment. These include large observational studies, multisite randomized controlled trials, qualitative and mixed methods studies, and implementation and process evaluations.
In the wake of what has been called our nation’s opioid crisis, Dr. Yarborough has dedicated her research to better understanding who is at risk for opioid-related harms. One large study will estimate the incidence of opioid misuse, abuse, and addiction among individuals prescribed opioids for chronic pain, and the risk factors associated with these outcomes; another study focuses on the incidence and predictors of opioid overdose and death. Additionally, a multisite study focuses on quantifying the magnitude of post-deprescribing overdoses, suicide attempts, and suicide deaths, and which patients are most vulnerable.
Dr. Yarborough is a member of the Mental Health Research Network, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, a consortium of research centers within 13 large health systems across the United States, including Kaiser Permanente Northwest. She is also the site principal investigator for the Health Systems Node of the National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network.
Dr. Yarborough received her PsyD in clinical psychology from Pacific University. She joined the Center for Health Research in 2000.
Selected Current Studies
- A Prospective Investigation of the Risks of Opioid Misuse, Abuse, and Addiction among Patients Treated with Opioids for Chronic Pain (Opioid Post-Marketing Requirement Consortium)
- Predictive Modeling: The Role of Opioid Use in Suicide Risk (NIDA)
- Overdose- and Suicide-Related Risks Associated with Prescription Opioid Deprescribing (FDA)
- Yarborough BJH, Chi FW, Green CA, Hinman A, Mertens J, Beck A, Horberg M, Weisner C, Campbell CI. Patient and system characteristics associated with performance on the HEDIS measures of alcohol and other drug treatment initiation and engagement. J Addict Med. 2018 Mar 19. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000399. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29557802 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Simon GE, Stewart C, Yarborough BJ, Lynch F, Coleman KJ, Beck A, Operskalski BH, Penfold RB, Hunkeler EM. Mortality rates after the first diagnosis of psychotic disorder in adolescents and young adults. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018 Mar 1;75(3):254-260. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.4437. PMID: 29387876 [PubMed - in process]
- Yarborough BJH, Perrin NA, Stumbo SP, Muench J, Green CA. Preventive service use among people with and without serious mental illnesses. Am J Prev Med. 2018 Jan;54(1):1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2017.08.020. Epub 2017 Oct 19. PMID: 29056371 [PubMed - in process]
- Yarborough BJ, Stumbo SP, Janoff SL, Yarborough MT, McCarty D, Chilcoat HD, Coplan PM, Green CA. Understanding opioid overdose characteristics involving prescription and illicit opioids: A mixed methods analysis. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Oct 1;167:49-56. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.07.024. Epub 2016 Aug 1. PMID: 27520885 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Yarborough BJ, Yarborough MT, Janoff SL, Green CA. Getting by, getting back, and getting on: Matching mental health services to consumers' recovery goals. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2016 Jun;39(2):97-104. doi: 10.1037/prj0000160. Epub 2015 Sep 28. PMID: 26414748 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Yarborough BJ, Stumbo SP, McCarty D, Mertens J, Weisner C, Green CA. Drug Alcohol Depend. Methadone, buprenorphine and preferences for opioid agonist treatment: A qualitative analysis. 2016 Mar 1;160:112-8. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.12.031. Epub 2016 Jan 6. PMID: 26796596 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Green CA, Yarborough BJ, Leo MC, Yarborough MT, Stumbo SP, Janoff SL, Perrin NA, Nichols GA, Stevens VJ. The STRIDE weight loss and lifestyle intervention for individuals taking antipsychotic medications: a randomized trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2015 Jan;172(1):71-81. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2014.14020173. Epub 2014 Oct 31. PMID: 25219423 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]