Jillian Henderson, PhD, MPH, is a health services researcher whose work aims to improve women’s health care. Her work focuses on improving the quality, patient-centeredness, and effectiveness of preventive health services for improving women’s reproductive health. As a member of the Evidence-based Practice Center, she has led or co-led systematic reviews on cervical cancer screening, routine pelvic examinations, ovarian cancer screening, preeclampsia prevention and screening, and tobacco cessation in pregnancy, as well as ongoing topics related to prevention of poor pregnancy outcomes, for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF).
Before joining CHR in November 2012, Dr. Henderson was an assistant professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, at the University of California, San Francisco. There she collaborated on national and international studies on the safety and quality of contraceptive care, cancer screening, and other reproductive health services. Her study of preventive counseling messages used by reproductive health care providers led to a role as a technical advisor on contraceptive counseling and education for the quality family planning guidance for Title X clinics, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Office of Population Affairs.
Dr. Henderson is interested in the role of policy and clinical recommendations in shaping public health and health care in domestic and global contexts. She has collaborated on projects with clinicians and scientists at CDC and the National Center for Health Statistics to assess the effects of shifting clinical guidelines and health policy in the United States. In addition to recent methodological projects and systematic reviews for the USPSTF, she has conducted several quantitative investigations on health care delivery using national survey and medical registry data, and qualitative studies on patient and provider perspectives on health care.
Dr. Henderson earned her PhD in health services organization and policy and an MPH in epidemiology from the University of Michigan.
- Henderson JT, Webber EM, Sawaya GF. Screening for Ovarian Cancer: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA 2018 Feb 13;319(6):595-606. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.21421. PMID:29450530
- Dehlendorf C, Henderson JT, Vittinghoff E, Steinauer J, Hessler D. Development of a patient-reported measure of the interpersonal quality of family planning care. Contraception. 2018 Jan;97(1):34-40. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2017.09.005. Epub 2017 Sep 18. PMID:28935217
- Henderson JT, Thompson JH, Burda BU, Cantor A. Preeclampsia Screening: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017 Apr 25;317(16):1668-1683. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.18315. PMID:28444285
- Guirguis-Blake JM, Henderson JT, Perdue LA. Periodic Screening Pelvic Examination: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017 Mar 7;317(9):954-966. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.12819. PMID 28267861
- Patnode CD, Henderson JT, Thompson JH, Senger CA, Fortmann SP, Whitlock EP. Behavioral Counseling and Pharmacotherapy Interventions for Tobacco Cessation in Adults, Including Pregnant Women: A Review of Reviews for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Oct 163(8):608-21. [PMID: 26389650]
- Henderson JT, Whitlock EP, O'Connor E, Senger CA, Thompson JH, Rowland MG. Low-Dose Aspirin for Prevention of Morbidity and Mortality from Preeclampsia: A Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Apr 8. [PMID: 24711050]
- Henderson JT, Harper CC, Gutin S, Saraiya M, Chapman J, Sawaya GF. Routine bimanual pelvic examinations: Practices and beliefs of US obstetrician-gynecologists. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 208(2):109, 2013. [PMID: 23159688]
- Henderson JT, Saraiya M, Martinez G, Harper CC, Sawaya G. Changes to cervical cancer prevention guidelines: Effects on screening among women ages 15-29. Preventive Medicine 56(1):25-9, 2013. [PMID:23137444]
- Henderson JT, Puri M, Blum M, Rana A, Malla, K, Harper CC, Gurung G, Pradhan N, Sharma S, Satyal I, Bajracharya L, Regmi K, Acharya S, Grossman D, Lamichhane P, Darney PD. Effects of abortion legalization in Nepal, 2001-2010. PLoS One 2013; 8(5):e64775. [doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064775]
- Henderson JT, Sawaya GF, Blum M, Stratton L, Harper CC. Pelvic examinations and access to oral hormonal contraception: Results from a national survey. Obstetrics & Gynecology 116(6):1257-64, 2010.
- Henderson JT, Raine T, Schalet A, Blum M, Harper CC. ‘I wouldn’t be this firm if I didn’t care’: Prevention counseling in reproductive health care. Patient Education & Counseling 82(2):254-9, 2010.
- Henderson JT, Weisman CS. A life stage perspective on women's provider use patterns and satisfaction with primary care. Medical Care 43(8):826-833, 2005.
- Harvey SM, Henderson JT, Bird ST, Beckman LJ, Casillas A, Mendez L, Cervantes R. A randomized study of a pregnancy and disease prevention intervention for Hispanic couples. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 36(4):162-169, 2004.