Richard Meenan, PhD, MPH, is a health economist with a primary research interest in methods to conduct economic evaluation of health care interventions, such as decision modeling and return-on-investment analysis.
He has worked on studies of colorectal cancer screening, tobacco cessation, weight-loss management, school- and workplace-based sun-safety policy, and the effects of the built environment on health and economic outcomes. Within these areas, he has contributed to economic studies of a system-based colorectal cancer screening program, a hotel-based obesity-prevention program, sun-safety promotion in elementary schools and public-sector workplaces, and the clinical and cost implications of the introduction of a metropolitan light rail line.
Dr. Meenan received a PhD in economics from Arizona State University in 1995 and an MPH in epidemiology and biostatistics in 1999 from Oregon Health & Science University. He also obtained an MBA from Indiana University in 1982. From 1995 to 1997, he held a fellowship underwritten by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Public Health Service, at OHSU’s Department of Public Health & Preventive Medicine and the Center for Health Research.
- Meenan RT, Stumbo SP, Yarborough MT, Leo MC, Yarborough BJH, Green CA. "An Economic Evaluation of a Weight Loss Intervention Program for People with Serious Mental Illnesses Taking Antipsychotic Medications."Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016 Jul;43(4):604-15. doi: 10.1007/s10488-015-0669-2.
- Meenan RT, Anderson ML, Chubak J, Vernon SW, Fuller S, Wang C, Green BB. An Economic Evaluation of Colorectal Cancer Screening in Primary Care Practice. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and MHSR. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Jun;48(6):714-21. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2014.12.016.
- Buller DB, Meenan R, Severson H, Halperin A, Edwards E, Magnusson B. Comparison of 4 recruiting strategies in a smoking cessation trial. Am J Health Behav. 2012 Sep;36(5):577-88. doi: 10.5993/AJHB.36.5.1.
- Coronado GD, Vollmer WM, Petrik A, Taplin SH, Burdick TE, Meenan RT, Green B. Strategies and opportunities to STOP colon cancer in priority populations: Design of a cluster-randomized pragmatic trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2014 Jun 14;38(2):344-349. [Epub 2014 Jun 14] PMC4226652 [Available on 2015/7/1]
- Williams AE, Stevens VJ, Albright CL, Nigg CR, Meenan RT, Vogt TM. Results of a 2-year randomized trial of a worksite weight management intervention. Am J Health Promot, 2014 May-Jun;28(5):336-339. [Epub 2014 Feb 13]