Rachel Gold, PhD, MPH, is an epidemiologist and health services researcher. Her work focuses on how health information technology can be harnessed to address health disparities experienced by patients served in safety net clinics, and the implementation methods needed to support clinics adopting such technologies. Dr. Gold has worked with the OCHIN practice-based research network since 2005; she now has a joint appointment at the Center for Health Research and OCHIN, where she is the lead research scientist. In that capacity, she works to support research conducted in OCHIN’s member safety net clinics.
Dr. Gold is an expert on practice improvement-related implementation in primary care safety net settings. She recently studied how to adapt an initiative that improved cardiovascular disease (CVD) and diabetes care in Kaiser Permanente for community health centers serving socioeconomically vulnerable patient populations, during which she compared the effectiveness of different implementation support strategies. She is currently studying the impact of an innovative point-of-care risk assessment tool on CVD outcomes in community clinics. She also developed and pilot-tested electronic health record-based tools for documenting and addressing patient-reported social determinants of health; she is now studying how to help community clinics adopt and sustain systematic social determinants screening and referral-making activities.
Past efforts include analyzing the impact of state insurance policy changes on pediatric care in safety net clinics, and the relationship between continuous insurance coverage and receipt of diabetes care in community clinic settings. Dr. Gold earned her PhD in epidemiology from the University of Washington and her MPH from Temple University.
Selected Current Studies
- CV WIZARD: Does a Prioritized, Point-of-Care Clinical Decision Support Tool Improve Guideline-Based CVD Risk Factor Control in Safety Net Clinics? (NHLBI)
- SPREAD-NET: PRactices Enabling Adapting and Disseminating in the safety NET (NHLBI)
- Assess Social determinantS using EHR tools in Safety net clinicS: Diabetes Outcomes—ASSESS & DO (NIDDK)
- Gold R, et al. Developing EHR-based tools for identifying and acting on community health center patients' social determinants of health through a pilot process. J Am Board Fam Med. 2017 Jul-Aug;30(4):428-447.
- Gold R, et al. Cardiovascular care guideline implementation in community health centers in Oregon: a mixed-methods analysis of real-world barriers and challenges. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017 Apr 5;17(1):253. PMID: 28381249
- Gold R, et al. Reporting on the Strategies Needed to Implement Proven Interventions: An Example From a "Real-World" Cross-Setting Implementation Study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 Aug;91(8):1074-83. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2016.03.014. Epub 2016 Apr 23. PMID: 27113199
- DeVoe JE, Bazemore AW, Cottrell EK, Likumahuwa-Ackman S, Grandmont J, Spach N, Gold R. Perspectives in primary care: A conceptual framework and path for integrating social determinants of health into primary care practice. Ann Fam Med. 2016; 14(2):104-8. PMID: 26951584
- Felcher A, Gold R, et al. Decrease in unnecessary vitamin D testing using clinical decision support tools: making it harder to do the wrong thing. J Am Med Inform Assoc (2017) 24 (4): 776-780
- LaForge, Kate MPH; Gold, Rachel PhD, MPH; Cottrell, Erika PhD, MPP; Bunce, Arwen E. MA; Proser, Michelle PhD, MPP; Hollombe, Celine MPH; Dambrun, Katie MPH; Cohen, Deborah J; Clark, Khaya D. How 6 Organizations Developed Tools and Processes for Social Determinants of Health Screening in Primary Care: An Overview. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. 2017. doi: 10.1097/JAC.000000000000022
- Gold R, Nelson C, Cowburn S, Bunce A, Hollombe C, Davis J, Muench J, Hill C, Mital M, Puro J, Perrin N, Nichols G. Feasibility and impact of implementing a private care system's diabetes quality improvement intervention in the safety net: A cluster-randomized trial. Implement Sci 2015 Jun 10; 10:83. PMCID: PMC446190
- Gold R, Bailey SR, O'Malley JP, Hoopes MJ, Cowburn S, Marino M, Heintzman J, Nelson C, Fortmann SP, Devoe JE. Estimating demand for care after a Medicaid expansion: Lessons from Oregon. J Ambul Care Manage 2014 Oct-Dec; 37(4):282-92. PMCID: PMC4172441
- Gold R, Muench J, Hill C, Turner A, Mital M, Milano C, Shah A, Nelson C, DeVoe J, Nichols G. Collaborative development of a randomized study to translate a diabetes quality improvement initiative into safety net clinic.J Health Care Poor Underserved 2012 Aug; 23(3 Suppl):236-46.
- DeVoe JE, Marino M, Angier H, O'Malley JP, Crawford C, Nelson C, Tillotson CJ, Bailey SR, Gallia C, Gold R. Effect of expanding Medicaid for parents on children's health insurance coverage: Lessons from the Oregon experiment. JAMA Pediatr 2015 Jan; 169(1):e143145. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.3145.