Kimberly Vesco, MD, MPH, is a board-certified, practicing obstetrician-gynecologist with KPNW. Her current work focuses on pregnancy- and prepregnancy-related health issues with specific interests in obesity, diabetes, and weight management. She also has an interest in postmenopausal women’s health issues and has studied the impact of oophorectomy on fracture risk in older women and the diagnosis and treatment of the genitourinary syndrome of menopause.
Dr. Vesco co-led the Healthy Moms Study, a randomized trial of a group-based diet and lifestyle weight management program for pregnant women. She is the PI on a study examining the relationship between visceral and liver fat stores in pregnancy and metabolic changes, and a co-investigator on a randomized trial of a preconception weight loss intervention for women with overweight and obesity e women planning pregnancies (PREPARE).
Dr. Vesco is a co-investigator on a trial testing two screening strategies for gestational diabetes mellitus among more than 17,500 pregnant women. She is a Co-PI in an NIDDK-funded consortium convened to conduct a prospective cohort study to detail the glycemic profile of pregnancy.
She recently led a health system-based, cluster-randomized trial at KPNW that aimed to increase the detection and treatment of symptomatic vulvovaginal changes in postmenopausal women. That work led to a study that is testing a novel curriculum for improving medical resident education related to the care of women with menopause-related symptoms.
Dr. Vesco earned her medical degree from the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine. She trained in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Utah and completed a women’s health fellowship at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center and an MPH degree with a focus in epidemiology and biostatistics at OHSU.
Selected Current Studies
- Glycemic Profile of Pregnancy Consortium (NIDDK)
- Resident Training to Optimize Patient Focused Menopause Management (Pfizer Independent Grants for Learning and Change)
- PREPARE: A Randomized Trial of a Pre-Pregnancy Weight Loss Intervention (NIDDK)
- Role of Liver and Visceral Fat in Glucose and Lipid Metabolism During Pregnancy (NIDDK)
- Novel Postpartum Liver Biology has Implications for Breast Cancer Liver Metastasis (Department of Defense)
- Extent of Maternal Morbidity in a Managed Care Setting (CDC)
- Comparing Two Gestational Diabetes Screening Methods: A Pragmatic Outpatient RCT (NICHD)
- Vesco KK, Leo MC, Karanja N, Gillman MW, McEvoy CT, King JC, Eckhardt CL, Smith KS, Perrin N, Stevens VJ. One-year postpartum outcomes following a weight management intervention in pregnant women with obesity. Obesity 2016;24(10) :2042-9. PMCID: PMC5084910 [Available on 2017-10-01]
- LeBlanc ES, Vesco KK, Funk KL, Karanja N, Smith N, Stevens VJ. Prepare, a randomized trial to promote and evaluate weight loss among overweight and obese women planning pregnancy: Study design and rationale. Contemp Clin Trials 2016 Jul;49:174-80.
- Vesco KK, Karanja N, King JC, Gillman MW, Leo MC, Perrin N, McEvoy CT, Eckhardt CL, Smith KS, Stevens VJ. Efficacy of a group-based dietary intervention for limiting gestational weight gain among obese women: A randomized trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2014 Sep;22(9):1989-1996.
- Vesco K, Dietz PM, Bulkley J, Bruce CF, Callaghan WM, England L, Kimes T, Bachman D, Hartinger KJ, Hornbrook M. A system-based intervention to improve postpartum diabetes screening among women with gestational diabetes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012 Oct;207(4):283. [Epub 2012 Aug 16]
- Vesco KK, Karanja N, King JC, Gillman MW, Perrin N, McEvoy C, Eckhardt C, Smith KS, Stevens, VJ. Healthy Moms, a randomized trial to promote and evaluate weight maintenance among obese pregnant women: study design and rationale. Contemp Clin Trials 2012 Jul;33(4):777-85. [Epub 2012 Mar 20] PMCID: PMC3361519
- Vesco KK, Marshall, LM, Nelson HD, Humphrey L, Rizzo JH, Pedula KL, Cauley JA, Ensrud KE, Hochberg MC, Antoniucci D, Hillier TA for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. Surgical menopause and nonvertebral fracture risk among older US women. Menopause 2012 May;19(5):510-6. PMCID: PMC3342015
- Vesco KK, Whitlock EP, Eder M, Burda BU, Senger CA, Lutz K. Risk factors and other epidemiologic considerations for cervical cancer screening. Ann Intern Med 2011 Nov 15;155(10):698-705, W216. [Epub 2011 Oct 17]
- Vesco K, Whitlock E, Eder M, Lin J, Burda B, Senger C, Holmes R, Fu R, Zuber S. Screening for cervical cancer: A systematic evidence review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Evidence Synthesis No. 86. AHRQ Publication No. 11-05156-EF-1. Rockville, Maryland: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality May 2011.
- Vesco KK, Sharma AJ, Dietz PM, Rizzo J, Callaghan WM, England L, Bruce FC, Bachman DJ, Stevens VJ, Hornbrook MC. Newborn size among obese women with weight gain outside the 2009 Institute of Medicine recommendation. Obstet Gynecol 2011 Apr;117(4):812-8.
- Vesco KK, Dietz PM, Rizzo J, Stevens VJ, Perrin NA, Bachman DJ, Callaghan WM, Bruce FC, Hornbrook MC. Excessive gestational weight gain and postpartum weight retention among obese women. Obstet Gynecol 2009 Nov;114(5):1069-1075.
- Hillier TA, Vesco KK, Pedula KL, Beil T, Whitlock E, Pettitt DJ. Screening for gestational diabetes: A systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2008;148(10):766-75.
- Vesco KK, Haney E, Humphrey L, Fu R, Nelson HD. Influence of menopause on mood: A systematic review of cohort studies. Climateric 2007;10(6):448-65.