Erin LeBlanc, MD, MPH, is an epidemiologist and board-certified adult endocrinologist. Her research focuses on conditions that affect women, including menopause, obesity, osteoporosis, diabetes, and vitamin D deficiency.
Currently, she leads the Prepare study, which is examining the effects of a pre-pregnancy weight loss program. She led the D2d study, a multicenter study examining the effects of vitamin D on diabetes risk, at the Portland site. She also led a study examining risk factors associated with fractures among people taking bisphosphonates. She was a co-investigator on De Por Vida, which is examining the effects of a weight loss intervention in Hispanics with diabetes or prediabetes. In 2011, Dr. LeBlanc led two systematic evidence reviews on obesity to support the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. In 2014, she led a systematic evidence review regarding screening for vitamin D deficiency.
Dr. LeBlanc was a co-investigator on the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures, a nearly 30-year-old study that is linking its database with Medicare claims data for nearly 10,000 women to examine relationships between aging and cognitive function, physical performance, bone mineral density, and body weight. She also served as the Principal Investigator for the Women’s Health Initiative study, which examined heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
Dr. LeBlanc came to CHR in 2009 from Oregon Health & Science University. She graduated cum laude from the Yale University School of Medicine. Following her internal medicine residency at Stanford University and before joining OHSU, she completed fellowships in women’s health and endocrinology at the Portland VA Medical Center and Oregon Health & Science University. She remains an affiliate assistant professor of endocrinology at OHSU.
Selected Current Studies
- PREPARE: A Randomized Trial of a Pre-Pregnancy Weight Loss Intervention (NIDDK)
- Systematic Evidence Reviews to Support the USPSTF (AHRQ)
- D2d: Vitamin D and Type 2 Diabetes (NIDDK)
- ChartGlucose4Moms: Characterizing, by Trimester, Continuous Glucose Monitoring Measurements for determining effects on Maternal & Offspring Metabolic Sequelae (NIDDK)
- LeBlanc ES, Rosales AG, Black DM, Genant HK, Dell RM, Friess DM, Boardman DL, Bauer DC, de Papp A, Santora AC, Orwoll ES. Evaluating atypical features of femur fractures: How change in radiological criteria influenced incidence and demography of atypical femur fractures in a community setting. J Bone Miner Res 2017 Nov;32(11):2304-2314. [Epub 2017 Aug 14]
- LeBlanc ES, Kapphahn K, Hedlin H, Desai M, Parikh NI, Liu S, Parker D, Anderson M, Aroda V, Sullivan S, Woods N, Waring M, Lewis C, Stefanick M. Reproductive history and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in postmenopausal women: Findings from the Women’s Health Initiative. Menopause 2017 Jan 24;(1):64-72. [Epub 2016 Jul 25] PMCID: PMC5477993
- LeBlanc ES, Vesco KK, Funk KL, Karanja N, Smith N, Stevens VJ. Prepare, a randomized trial to promote and evaluate weight loss among overweight and obese women planning pregnancy: Study design and rationale. Contemp Clin Trials 2016 Jul;49:174-80. [Epub 2016 Jul 6] PMCID: PMC5685182
- LeBlanc ES, Hedlin H, Qin F, Desai M, Wactawski-Wende J, Perrin N, Manson JE, Johnson KC, Masaki K, Tylavsky FA, Stefanick ML. Calcium and vitamin D supplementation do not influence menopause-related symptoms: Results of the Women's Health Initiative trial. Maturitas 2015 Jul;81(3):377-83. [Epub 2015 Jun 1] PMCID: PMC4469550
- LeBlanc ES, Chou R. Vitamin D and falls: Fitting new data with current guidelines. JAMA Intern Med 2015 May 1;175(5):712-3.
- LeBlanc ES, Zakher B, Daeges M, Pappas M, Chou R. Screening for vitamin D deficiency: A systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Int Med 2015 Jan 20;162(2):109-122. [Epub ahead of print]
- LeBlanc ES, Desai M, Perrin N, Wactawski-Wende J, Manson JE, Cauley JA, Michael YL, Tang J, Womack C, Song Y, Johnson KC, O'Sullivan MJ, Woods N, Stefanick ML. Vitamin D levels and menopause-related symptoms. Menopause 2014 Nov;21(11):1197-203. [Epub 2014 Apr 14] PMCID: PMC4764124
- LeBlanc ES, Perrin N, Johnson JD Jr., Ballatore A, Hillier T. Over-the-counter and compounded vitamin D: Is potency what we expect? JAMA Intern Med 2013 Apr 8;173(7):585-6 PMID:23400578
- LeBlanc E, Rizzo JH, Pedula KL, Ensrud KE, Cauley J, Hochberg M, Hillier TA for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. Associations between 25-hydroxyvitamin D and weight gain in elderly women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2012 Oct;21(10):1066-73. [Epub 2012 Jun 25] PMCID: PMC3466912
- LeBlanc ES, Hillier TA, Pedula KL, Rizzo JH, Cawthon PM, Fink HA, Cauley JA, Bauer DC, Black DM, Cummings SR, Browner WS. Hip fracture and increased short-term but not long-term mortality in healthy older women. Arch Intern Med 2011 Nov 14;171(20):1831-7. [Epub 2011 Sep 26] PMCID: PMC3576923
- LeBlanc ES, O'Connor E, Whitlock EP, Patnode CD, Kapka T. Effectiveness of primary-care-relevant treatments for obesity in adults: A systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2011 Oct 4;155(7):434-47.