Victor Stevens, PhD, is a behavioral psychologist with 30 years of experience developing and evaluating health behavior change interventions.
This body of work has included interventions focused on weight loss, dietary change, physical activity, smoking cessation, and behavioral dentistry. As a part of this work, Dr. Stevens has conducted multiple studies on the integration of preventive medicine programs into routine medical care, and in the dissemination and evaluation of these interventions in clinical practice.
In addition to conducting single-site studies, Dr. Stevens has worked in multi-center, collaborative clinical trials focused on reducing cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk, including the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial (MRFIT), Trials of Hypertension Prevention (TOHP I and TOHP II), Dietary Intervention Study in Children (DISC), Women’s Health Initiative (WHI), PREMIER blood pressure reduction trial, and Weight Loss Maintenance trial.
He served as the principal investigator for the PREMIER and Weight Loss Maintenance trial coordinating centers, the coordinating unit for the Obesity Prevention at the Worksite research consortium, and the CHART consortium of smoking cessation studies for hospital patients.
Dr. Stevens is a fellow in the Society of Behavioral Medicine and a fellow in The Obesity Society. In August 2008, he was appointed to serve on the Expert Panel for the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Cardiovascular Risk Reduction Clinical Guidelines Initiative. As part of this work, he is serving on the Obesity Treatment Committee as well as the NHLBI Guidelines Implementation working group.
- Bailey SR, Stevens VJ, Fortmann SP, Kurtz SE, McBurnie MA, Priest E, Puro J, Solberg LI, Schweitzer R, Masica AL, Hazlehurst B. Long Term Outcomes from Repeated Smoking Cessation Assistance in Routine Primary Care. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2018 Jan 1:890117118761886. doi: 10.1177/0890117118761886. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29534598.
- Fitzpatrick SL, Appel LJ, Bray B, Brooks N, Stevens VJ. Predictors of Long-term Adherence to Multiple Health Behavior Recommendations for Weight Management. Health Education and Behavior, 2018 Feb 1:1090198118757823. doi: 10.1177/1090198118757823. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29478353.
- Fitzpatrick SL, Stevens VJ. Adult Obesity Management in Primary Care, 2008-2013. Preventive Medicine. 2017, Jun;99:128-133. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.02.020. Epub 2017 Feb 21. PMID: 28232100.
- Chan WV, Pearson TA, Bennett GC, Cushman WC, Gaziano TA, Gorman P, Handler J, Krumholz HM, Kushner R, MacKenzie TD, Sacco RL, Smith SC, Stevens VJ, Wells BL, Heil SK, Castillo G, Stephens J, Vann JJ. ACC/AHA Special Report: Clinical Practice Guideline Implementation Science work group; A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2017. Feb 28;135(9):e122-e137. PMID: 28126839.
- Vesco KK, Leo MC, Karanja N, Gillman MW, McEvoy CT, King JC, Eckhardt CL, Smith KS, Perrin N, Stevens VJ. One-year postpartum outcomes following a weight management intervention in pregnant women with obesity. Obesity 2016;24(10):2042-2049. Doi:10.1002/aby.21597. PMID: 27670399.
- LeBlanc ES, Vesco KK, Funk KL, Karanja N, Smith N, Stevens VJ. PREPARE, a randomized trial to promote and evaluate weight loss among overweight and obese women planning pregnancy: study design and rationale. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2016;49:174-180. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2016.07.002 PMID: 27394386.
- Coughlin JW, Brantley PJ, Champagne CM, Vollmer WM, Stevens VJ, Funk K, Dalcin AT, Jerome GJ, Myers VH, Tyson C, Batch BC, Charleston J, Loria C, Bauck A, Hollis JF, Svetkey LP, Appel LJ. The impact of continued intervention on weight: Five year results from the Weight Loss Maintenance Trial. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2016 May;24(5):1046-1053. r 15. doi: 10.1002/oby.21454. PMID: 26991814.
- Stevens VJ, Solberg LI, Bailey S, Kurtz SE, McBurnie MA, Priest E, Puro JE, Williams R, Fortmann S, Williams A, Hazlehurst BL. Assessing trends in tobacco cessation in diverse patient populations. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 2016;18(3):275-280. PMID: 25921356.
- Green CA, Yarborough BJH, Leo MC, Stumbo SP, Perrin NA, Nichols GA, Stevens VJ. Weight Maintenance Following the STRIDE Weight Loss and Lifestyle Intervention for Individuals taking Antipsychotic Medications. Obesity 2015;23:1995-2001. doi: 10.1002/oby.21205. PMID: 26334929.
- Hazlehurst BL, Kurtz SE, Masica A, Stevens VJ, McBurnie MA, Puro JE, Vijayadeva V, Au DH, Brannon ED, Sittig DF. CER Hub: An informatics platform for conducting comparative effectiveness research using multi-institutional, heterogeneous, electronic clinical data. International Journal of Medical Informatics 2015;84(10):763-773. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.06.002. PMID: 26138036.