Jeffrey Fellows, PhD, is a health economist with extensive experience implementing and evaluating community-based and clinical practice-based research. His research has focused on two primary themes: expanding the evidence base in dentistry and dental practice and contributing to the understanding and reduction of the disease burden of smoking in communities and health system populations.
Dr. Fellows is the director of the Western Region of the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network (PBRN), a collaborative of over 6,000 U.S. dental practitioners, researchers, and stakeholder organizations. From 2005 to 2012, he was Permanente Dental Associates’ regional director for the Dental Practice-Based Research Network, which preceded the National Dental PBRN. Dr. Fellows has led PBRN studies of postendodontic pain, the incidence and risk factors for osteonecrosis of the jaw, thresholds to initiate restorative caries treatment, and pay-for-performance in dentistry. He also has conducted research testing organizational strategies to increase sealant placement rates, clinic interventions to reduce tobacco use among dental patients, and medical-dental integration.
Before joining CHR in 2002, Dr. Fellows served as a health economist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. He has been involved in tobacco control and other health services research since 1999, when he began working in the CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health. At the CDC, he led the domestic tobacco control economic evaluation program that included assessing the health and economic burden of tobacco. He also guided research on the impact of state excise taxes and state programs on cigarette consumption, smoking prevalence, and health outcomes.
As a CHR researcher, Dr. Fellows was the principal investigator on the Inpatient Technology-Supported Assisted Referral study linking hospitalized smokers at Kaiser Sunnyside, Oregon Health & Science University, and Legacy Emanuel hospitals to outpatient cessation services and medications. He was also principal investigator on a project estimating the return on investment of smoking cessation programs for health plans and employers, and numerous evaluations of the effectiveness of state tobacco control programs, including state tobacco quitlines. He regularly consults with state tobacco control programs.
Dr. Fellows holds a PhD in economics from the University of Utah.
- Polk DE, Weyant RJ, Shah NH, Fellows JL, Pihlstrom DJ, Frantsve-Hawley J. Barriers to sealant guideline implementation within a multi-site managed care dental practice. BMC Oral Health 2018;18:17.
- Fellows JL, Mularski RA, Leo MC, Bentz CJ, Waiwaiole LA, Francisco MC, Funkhouser K, Stoney CM. Referring Hospitalized Smokers to Outpatient Quit Services: A Randomized Trial. Am J Prev Med 2016;51(4):609-19.
- Cruvinel E, Richter KP, Stoney C, Duffy S, Fellows J, et al. CHARTing a path to pragmatic tobacco treatment research. Am J Prev Med 2016;51(4):630-36. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.05.025. PMID: 27647063
- Rigotti NA, Harrington KF, Richter K, Fellows JL, Sherman SE, Grossman E, Chang Y, Tindle HA, Ylioja T; for the Consortium of Hospitals Advancing Research on Tobacco (CHART). Increasing Prevalence of Electronic Cigarette Use Among Smokers Hospitalized in five U.S. Cities, 2010-2013. Nic Tob Res. 2015 Feb;17(2):236-44.
- Fellows JL, Gordan VV, Gilbert GH, Rindal DB, Qvist V, Litaker MS, Benjamin P, Flink H, Pihlstrom DJ, Johnson N. Dentist and practice characteristics associated with restorative treatment of enamel caries in permanent teeth: multiple-regression modeling of observational clinical data from the National Dental PBRN. Am J Dent 2014 Apr;27(2):91-99.
- Funkhouser E, Agee BS, Gordan VV, Rindal DB, Fellows JL, Qvist V, McClelland J, Gilbert GH. Use of online sources of information by dental practitioners: findings from The Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Public Health Dent 2014;74(1):71-79.
- Funkhouser E, Fellows JL, Gordan VV, Rindal DB, Foy PJ, Gilbert GH. Supplementing online surveys with a mailed option to reduce bias and improve response rate: the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Public Health Dent 2014 Apr 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Riley JL, III, Gordan VV, Hudak-Boss SE, Fellows JL, Rindal DB, Gilbert GH. Concordance between patient satisfaction and the dentist's view: findings from The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Am Dent Assoc 2014 Apr; 145(4):355-362.
- Gilbert GH, Gordan VV, Funkhouser EM, Rindal DB, Fellows JL, Qvist V, Anderson G, Worley D. Caries treatment in a dental practice-based research network: movement toward stated evidence-based treatment. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2013 Apr;41(2):143-153. PubMed abstract
- Gilbert GH, Williams OD, Korelitz JJ, Fellows JL, Gordan VV, Makhija SK, Meyerowitz C, Oates TW, Rindal DB, Benjamin PL, Foy PJ; National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Purpose, structure, and function of the United States National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Dent 2013 Nov;41(11):1051-9. PMCID: PMC3812393
- Heaven TJ, Gordan VV, Litaker MS, Fellows JL, Brad RD, Firestone AR, Gilbert GH. Agreement among dentists' restorative treatment planning thresholds for primary occlusal caries, primary proximal caries, and existing restorations: Findings from The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Dent 2013 Aug;41(8):718-725. NIHMS500638