Dr. Charles Elder combines his clinical practice expertise with an interest in applying alternative medicine to mainstream medical care. His research focuses on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), particularly on Ayurvedic medicine.
Dr. Elder was the principal investigator on a pilot study evaluating the feasibility of two mind-body interventions based on Chinese medicine, qigong and the Tapas Acupressure Technique®, for weight-loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults. Based on the results of that study, he is conducting a phase-3 study evaluating the efficacy of the Tapas Acupressure Technique in weight-loss maintenance. In addition, he has examined patient-centered measures for outcomes of CAM therapies and the clinical impact of a whole-system Ayurvedic intervention for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.
A Northwest Permanente physician who is board certified in internal medicine, Dr. Elder joined the Permanente Medical Group in 1991. He practices at the Division Medical Office and is affiliated with Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center.
In addition to his research and practice, Dr. Elder is a clinical assistant professor of medicine at Oregon Health & Science University. In 2002, he was elected a fellow of the American College of Physicians. He has also served as an associate editor for The Permanente Journal and as a trustee for the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine since 2006. He received his medical degree from Boston University School of Medicine and his training in internal medicine from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
- Elder C, DeBar LL, Ritenbaugh C, Vollmer WM, Deyo R, Dickerson J, Kindler LL. Acupuncture and chiropractic care: utilization and electronic medical record capture. Am J Manag Care 2015. July, 2015. 21;7: e414-421.
- Elder C, Nidich S, Moriarty F, Nidich R. Effect of transcendental meditation on employee stress, depression, and burnout: A randomized controlled study. Perm J 2014 Winter; 18(1):19-23. PMCID: PMC3951026
- Elder CR. Integrating naturopathy: Can we move forward? Perm J 2013 Fall; 17(4):80-83. PMCID: PMC3854814
- Elder CR, Gullion CM, Debar LL, Funk KL, Lindberg NM, Ritenbaugh C, Meltesen G, Gallison C, Stevens VJ. Randomized trial of Tapas Acupressure Technique for weight loss maintenance. BMC Complement Altern Med 2012 Mar 15; 12:19. PMCID: PMC3375195
- Elder CR, Gullion CM, Funk KL, DeBar LL, Lindberg NM, Stevens VJ. Impact of sleep, screen time, depression, and stress on weight change in the intensive weight loss phase of the LIFE study. Int J Obes (Lond) 2012 Jan; 36(1):86-92. [Epub 2011 Mar 29] PMCID: PMC3136584
- DeBar LL, Elder C, Ritenbaugh C, Aickin M, Deyo R, Meenan R, Dickerson J, Webster JA, Yarborough BJ. Acupuncture and chiropractic care for chronic pain in an integrated health plan: A mixed methods study. BMC Complement Altern Med 2011 Nov 25; 11:118. PMCID: PMC3256110
- Elder C, Ritenbaugh C, Mist S, Aickin M, Schneider J, Zwickey H, Elmer P. Randomized trial of two mind-body interventions for weight-loss maintenance. J Altern Complement Med 2007 Jan-Feb; 13(1):67-78.
- Elder C, Aickin M, Bell IR, Fonnebo V, Lewith GT, Ritenbaugh C, Verhoef M. Methodological challenges in whole systems research. J Altern Complement Med 2006 Nov; 12(9):843-50.
- Elder C, Aickin M, Bauer V, Cairns J, Vuckovic N. Randomized trial of a whole-system ayurvedic protocol for Type 2 Diabetes. Altern Ther Health Med 2006 Sep-Oct; 12(5):24-30.