Carrie Patnode, PhD, MPH, is a behavioral epidemiologist whose research focuses on evidence-based medicine, particularly in the area of behavioral interventions for the primary prevention of chronic diseases. She is currently an investigator with the Kaiser Permanente Research Affiliates Evidence-based Practice Center and leads systematic reviews for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force in the areas of screening and treatment of cognitive impairment among older adults, treatment of adult obesity, screening for drug use, and tobacco cessation. She also works on methodologic research related to assessing the risk of bias in individual studies in systematic reviews, rapid review procedures, using existing systematic reviews in evidence synthesis, and engaging stakeholders.
Dr. Patnode joined the Center for Health Research in December 2009. Before arriving, she worked in the Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There, she helped develop and evaluate national health communication and social marketing efforts. Dr. Patnode has expertise in the epidemiology of physical activity and interventions to increase physical activity among children, adolescents, and adults.
Dr. Patnode received her MPH in health education and behavioral sciences from Emory University and her PhD in epidemiology from the University of Minnesota.
- Patnode CD, Eder ML, Walsh ES, Viswanathan M, Lin JS. The Use of Rapid Review Methods for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Am J Prev Med. 2018;54(1S1):S19-S2. PMID: 29254522
- Viswanathan M, Patnode C, Bass E, Treadwell J, Hartling L, Berkman N, Chang S, Murad M. Recommendations for Assessing the Risk of Bias in Systematic Reviews of Health Care Interventions. J Clin Epidemiol. 2018 May;97:26-34. PMID: 29248724
- Patnode CD, Evans CV, Senger CA, Redmond N, Lin JS. Behavioral Counseling to Promote a Healthful Diet and Physical Activity for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Adults Without Known Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors: Updated Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017; 318(2): 175-193. PMID: 28697259
- Patnode CD, Henninger ML, Senger CA, Perdue LA, Whitlock EP. Primary Care Interventions to Support Breastfeeding: Updated Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2016; 316(16): 1694-1705. PMID: 27784101.
- Patnode CD, Henderson JT, Thompson JH, Senger CA, Fortmann SP, Whitlock EP. Behavioral Counseling and Pharmacotherapy Interventions for Tobacco Cessation in Adults, including Pregnant Women: A Review of Reviews for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163(8):608-621. PMID: 26389650
- Patnode CD, O'Connor E, Rowland M, Burda BU, Perdue LA, Whitlock EP. Primary Care Behavioral Interventions to Prevent or Reduce Illicit Drug Use and Nonmedical Pharmaceutical Use in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160(9):612-620. PMID: 24615613
- Gold R, Whitlock, EP, Patnode CD, McGinnis PS, Buckley DI, Morris C. Prioritizing research needs based on a systematic evidence review: A pilot process for engaging stakeholders. Health Expectations 2013;16(4):338-50. PMID: 21838830
- Danforth KN, Patnode CD, Kapka TJ, Butler MG, Collins B, Compton-Phillips A, Baxter RJ, Weissberg J, McGlynn EA, Whitlock EP. Comparative effectiveness topics from a large, integrated delivery system. Perm J 2013; 17(4): 4-13. PMID: 24361013
- Patnode CD, O’Connor E, Whitlock EP, Perdue LA, Soh C, Hollis J. Primary Care Relevant Interventions for Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158: 253-260. PMID: 23229625