Nangel Lindberg, PhD, studies the impact of culture on self-care and health-related behaviors. She is an expert on culturally tailored interventions for Hispanic populations. Her expertise spans weight loss, diabetes prevention and management, psychological aspects of cancer, and cancer prevention. Dr. Lindberg is bicultural and has extensive research experience implementing behavioral interventions with diverse populations in the United States in clinical and community settings.
Dr. Lindberg conducted a study of a culturally tailored weight loss program — De Por Vida — designed for women of Mexican origin that was successful in helping participants lose weight. She has also contributed her expertise as a lead developer of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Diabetes Prevention Program curricula for both Spanish and English speakers. In further work with Hispanic populations, she implemented and tested a program to prevent excessive gestational weight gain among pregnant Hispanic patients at the Virginia Garcia clinic.
Dr. Lindberg is trained as a clinical psychologist. She attended the University of California, Los Angeles, completing her PhD in clinical psychology and postdoctoral training in health psychology, behavioral medicine, and psycho-oncology.
Selected Current Studies
- Addressing Social Determinants of Health & Diabetes Self-Management in Vulnerable Populations (Diabetes & Social Needs) (NIDDK)
- Exome Sequencing in Diverse Populations in Colorado & Oregon Cancer—CSER2 (NHGRI)
- Lindberg NM, Mittendorf KF, Duenas DM, Anderson K, Koomas A, Kraft SA, Okuyama S, Shipman KJ, Vandermeer ML, Goddard KAB, Wilfond BS, McMullen C. Engaging a Patient Advisory Committee to inform a genomic cancer risk study. In review for publication Perm J 2022.
- Lindberg NM, Gutierrez AM, Mittendorf KF, Ramos MA, Anguiano B, Angelo F, Joseph G. Creating Accessible Spanish-Language Materials for CSER Consortium Genomic Projects: Challenges and Lessons Learned. Accepted for publication Personalized Medicine 2022.
- Mittendorf KM, Knerr S, Kauffman TL, Lindberg NM, Anderson KP, Feigelson HS, Gilmore MJ, Hunter JE, Joseph G, Kraft SA, Zepp JM, Syngal S, Wilfond BS, Goddard KAB. Systemic Barriers to Risk-Reducing Interventions for Hereditary Cancer Syndromes: Implications for Health Care Inequities. JCO Precis Oncol. 2021 Nov 3;5:PO.21.00233. doi: 10.1200/PO.21.00233. eCollection 2021.
- Avilés-Santa ML, Monroig-Rivera A, Soto-Soto A, Lindberg NM. Current State of Diabetes Mellitus Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control in Latin America: Challenges and Innovative Solutions to Improve Health Outcomes Across the Continent. Curr Diab Rep. 2020 Oct 10;20(11):62. doi: 10.1007/s11892-020-01341-9.
- Thornton PL, Kumanyika SK, Gregg EW, Araneta MR, Baskin ML, Chin MH, Crespo CJ, de Groot M, Garcia DO, Haire-Joshu D, Heisler M, Hill-Briggs F, Ladapo JA, Lindberg NM, Manson SM, Marrero DG, Peek ME, Shields AE, Tate DF, Mangione CM. New research directions on disparities in obesity and type 2 diabetes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2020 Feb;1461(1):5-24. doi: 10.1111/nyas.14270. Epub 2019 Dec 3.
- Kraft SA, Porter KM, Duenas DM, Guerra C, Joseph G, Lee SS, Shipman KJ, Allen J, Eubanks D, Kauffman TL, Lindberg NM, Anderson K, Zepp JM, Gilmore MJ, Mittendorf KF, Shuster E, Muessig KR, Arnold B, Goddard KAB, Wilfond BS. Participant Reactions to a Literacy-Focused, Web-Based Informed Consent Approach for a Genomic Implementation Study. AJOB Empir Bioeth. 2020 Sep 26:1-11. doi: 10.1080/23294515.2020.1823907.
- Arias-Gastélum M, Lindberg NM, Leo MC, Bruening M, Whisner CM, Der Ananian C, Hooker SP, LeBlanc ES, Stevens VJ, Shuster E, Meenan RT, Gille S, Vaughn KA, Turner A, Vega-López S. Dietary Patterns with Healthy and Unhealthy Traits Among Overweight/Obese Hispanic Women with or at High Risk for Type 2 Diabetes. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2020 Jun 3. doi: 10.1007/s40615-020-00782-y.
- Kraft SA, McMullen C, Lindberg NM, Bui D, Shipman K, Anderson K, Joseph G, Duenas DM, Porter KM, Kauffman TL, Koomas A, Ransom CL, Jackson P, Goddard KAB, Wilfond BS, Lee SS. Integrating stakeholder feedback in translational genomics research: an ethnographic analysis of a study protocol's evolution. Genet Med. 2020 Jun;22(6):1094-1101. doi: 10.1038/s41436-020-0763-z.
- Lindberg NM, Vega-López S, Arias-Gastelum M, Stevens VJ. Alternative Medicine Methods Used for Weight Loss and Diabetes Control by Overweight and Obese Hispanic Immigrant Women. Hisp Health Care Int. 2020 Jun;18(2):49-54. doi: 10.1177/1540415319858075.
- Lindberg NM, Vega-López S, LeBlanc ES, Leo MC, Stevens VJ, Gille S, Arias-Gastélum M, Shuster E, Meenan R, Vaughn KA, Shaw MC, Turner A. High Prevalence of Undiagnosed Hyperglycemia in Low-Income Overweight and Obese Hispanic Women in Oregon. J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019 Aug;6(4):799-805. doi: 10.1007/s40615-019-00578-9.
- Vega-López S, Lindberg NM, Eckert GJ, Nicholson EL, Maupomé G. Association of added sugar intake and caries-related experiences among individuals of Mexican origin. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2018 Aug;46(4):376-384. doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12378. Epub 2018 Apr 16.